Monday, December 20, 2010

Changes

You may have noticed that it has been a tough couple of years for the real estate industry. For me, the difficulty hasn’t been trying to drum up business; it’s been getting contract to close successfully. Between January and August, I had six contracts fall apart or nearly fall apart – from appraisal issues to pre-approved buyers unable to get financing to asset managers terminating because they were irritated by the buyer…for every contract that closed, I had two that didn’t. It became clear to me that something needed to change – I was working really, really hard, stressed out and irritable, and it was hurting my family. Plus, as hard as I worked, things outside my control were hurting the people I was trying to help.

Through several different forks in the road this summer, I ended up getting hired as a part-time ministry assistant at our church. I love this job. I love the people I work with, and the people I work for. I love Crossroads. I love working in a place where the staff meetings include prayer and singing together. I love knowing that we are helping to bring God and people together.

For now, I’m calling this a break from real estate. This break may be for a couple of years. It may be permanent. After three years of God prodding me in various directions, I’m learning that it’s best just to do what I do wherever he puts me, and to do it until he sends me onto a different path.

No comments: