Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1st 2010 Post!

Yes!! I'm getting the new year off to a great start - a blog post about 2010...in 2010!

This post is about potty training...Alex! Up to this point, Alex hasn't really shown much interest in eschewing diapers in favor of Cars undies. Normally a pretty easygoing kid, he's been surprisingly stubborn in his refusal of this very important step.

In July, Zach decided to try to take charge of this for us. One day, I discovered that he had randomly changed Alex into big boy underwear. Unfortunately, Alex wasn't willing to change his mind on the idea, even to impress Big Brother.

In early September, Zach came up with a ‘brilliant’ idea (and I quote): “Let’s just lock him in the bathroom and he can go potty when he needs to.” No one else really cottoned onto this idea. When the kids and I visited Iowa in September, Alex peed in the potty for the first time. Having done it once, and basked in the (probably over-)enthusiastic praise that followed, he decided he never had to repeat this performance again. And the life in diapers continued...

Finally, in mid-December, Alex asked me if he could wear big boy underwear. Then, he said, "Can I go in the bano?" In another language, no less! Progress!

Fast-forward through the holidays to the second week of January. We are, as I write this, heading into the *4th* day of big boy undies, with limited accidents. Do we dare dream of the reality of being a diaper-free household? Could it really be around the corner?

No comments: