Sunday, December 21, 2008

Silverthorne

It's become a tradition for our family to head to the mountains at this time of year, to spend time together and celebrate my mom's birthday. This year, we stayed in a great house in Silverthorne, with a ton of room for us all to spread out and 5 minutes away from the outlet malls.

This was the same weekend of Alex's allergic reaction, and a big snowstorm, so we were afraid we wouldn't be able to make it up. We thought about going up the next day, but the weather reports sounded like the next day would be worse, so we just decided to head up on Thursday night. We also decided not to call my parents to let them know we had changed our minds, because we didn't want them to stress about us driving. When we arrived (in pretty good time, actually), everyone was shocked but (hopefully) happy to see us.

My mom with Baby Joel:
My dad with Baby Joel:
Coley with Baby Joel:
Baby Joel:
Jake, Julie and Baby Joel:
Me and Coley:
Jake and Julie:
Mom and Zach:
Coley and Alex:
Jake, Julie, Seth, Dad and I played a marathon game of Settlers of Cattan the first night, staying up until almost 2:00 am. The next morning, Mom let Dad sleep in a little. When she went in to wake him up, she told him it was 10:00...it was actually 8:30. When he looked at the clock, he grumbled a lot, and laid down on the couch to "rest his eyes." Cider, Jake and Julie's dog, found a comfy place to snuggle up.
We each had meal duty, where we were responsible for making food for everyone. Jake and Julie, making breakfast - they made "World Arenas," a scrambled egg sandwich (really good):
Zach, being cheesy:
Dad, getting ready to jump into the hot tub outside. I told him I was taking the picture, because I loved the combination of coffee cup, swimsuit, socks and slippers. Seriously, you can take the engineer out of geekville...
The manly men - it was seriously freezing out there:
Setting up for another marathon Cattan stretch:

Zach didn't want his picture taken. Actually, neither one looks that happy about it:

A different story a few minutes later:

Focus, people! Wait, is this when I was getting ready to whoop all their butts? 'Cause, I did that a couple of times. Not that I'm one to brag...
Baby Joel again - he's soooo snuggly!

Zach and Alex were feeling left out with all the game-playing that was going on, so Seth "played" Carcassone with them. Alex actually jumped up into the chair at the table, waiting for someone to play with him.
Attacking Coley:
Zach discovered icicles:
Playing outside for a bit:
Babi, Grandpa and their boys:
Group shot - in my defense, no one told me we were doing pictures or I would have done something fabulous with my hair.
Original Sippys. Yes, Jake's butt is in my face and I'm trying to push it away.

Pickett Family:
Alex, being cute:
This is where we stayed:

I highly recommend that anyone looking for a vacation rental visit http://www.brinkmanpartners.com/mountain/vacation_rentals.php. Ryan Sondrup does an amazing job.

No comments: